November 14, 2013

Shiny Pot with Roses

Another still-life. I think I'm starting to be a little less resistant to still-life painting. It is easier to find stuff to paint than it is to find a model after all, so why not go for it.

My wife saw this shiny pot at a thrift store and picked it up for me to add to my collection of "stuff" for painting. Tina is very supportive of me in my painting endeavors and it means a lot to have someone you love take such an attitude. I don't know if it would be possible to pursue this painting thing if she wasn't standing beside me in that way. Thank you my love!

Anyway, even though I have been thinking about it, I have been very nervous about painting shiny objects. I think because of what I perceived to be such an overload of information to have to paint. 

But that was my old way of thinking. By nature I was always a "noodler." Someone who, in their art, had to noodle everything to practically a molecular level. I don't want to do that now. There is a space somewhere between realism and impressionism that I really like. It really speaks to me whenever I see it. For me it is an attractive way to go if for no other reason than it saves time and you can complete more paintings in a shorter amount of time. But I think it's also the "less is more" thing that I like. It is an effort though to see things differently than I used to. 

Don't get me wrong. Highly detailed art is great for those that love to do it and it is totally valid as a means of self-expression. And I do admire the skill, patience, and even the aesthetics of this kind of work. But fortunately God has hard-wired us all a little differently, I think, and so different kinds of art will speak to different kinds of people. I'm not one of those people that believes that only Rembrandt, for example created great art, or did "real" painting. Just because something doesn't speak to me it doesn't mean it won't connect with someone else. That's not to say I don't have opinions about art, but that's the subject for another post ;-) 

This one is a little smallish for me.  I had fun doing it.  Hope you like it.





Shiny Teapot Pot and Roses
Oil on canvas board - 8" x 10" 




No comments:

Post a Comment