January 02, 2017

Long Overdue Update

So it's been a long time since I've blogged here. There are several reasons, and I think they're all mostly good ones.

One of the reasons is that I've been fairly busy painting, trying new things, and just trying to improve in general. Lately, anytime I finish a painting, if I think it's a keeper I've been adding it to my website  rather than blogging about it here, so there are several new paintings that I haven't blogged about.
I'm not going to go back and try to tell my thoughts about each one of those more recent paintings. Instead I'll just put up this one to give a sense of where I'm at lately. This most recent painting was a pretty fair challenge. The photo I used as reference had to be altered a fair amount compositionally and color-wise. Painting from life a lot and studying other artist's paintings whose work I admire has helped a lot in terms of color and seeing shapes. Working as a professional illustrator has gone a long way towards recognizing good composition. I still have many aspects I want to improve in but all in all things are going in a good direction. I'm hoping for even greater break-through paintings/milestones this year. Just have to keep my nose to the old grindstone.


Mother Natures Son
Oil on Canvas 9 x 15

No comments:

Post a Comment