June 25, 2013

Woodworker

"Woodworker" 
 Oil on canvas 16" x 20"

I took this gentleman's picture at an outdoor fair in Malvern Ohio. They had lots of people dressed up in period costumes and so I'd asked him if I could snap his picture for a painting. He was more than happy to oblige and this painting resulted.

The setting was originally outdoors, but I changed it up as I thought the indoor setting worked better. I tried to keep the background loose in contrast with the subject. I think that part was ok, but after I'd finished I realized that there was really not enough variety of edges, which helps to create atmosphere, as I was still painting "up to the line." That said I think it was a tough painting to do and I felt as though I had made some positive steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment